We cannot see well enough under the water. That’s a result of the refraction of light. Water is 800 times denser than air. Light cannot move as quick as possible compared to the air. All these mislead our eyes and we see something blurry. This is why we use a mask.
There are dozens of brands and models on the market, so generally it becomes really hard to choose, especially if you are a beginner. Masks with two glasses, entire glass, black/white or transparent silicone? Here are some tips while selecting a dive mask in a dive shop:
- Without using the belt, wear the mask you want to try. Inhale from your nose. This should vacuum all the air trapped in your mask. Hold your breath for a couple of seconds after you inhale. If your mask is not falling down during this position, that mask is yours. This means that the mask you tried is “leak-proof” and will not experience water leak in water.
- All the parts should be silicone except the frame.
- Nose part should be soft.
- High volume masks will give you a wide angle of view which I strongly advise. Low volume masks may make you feel like claustrophobic.
- Transparent silicone will also give you a wider angle of view, but sun rays may disturb you but only at the first 5 meters. Black silicone will absorb the sun rays.
- Dive masks with two glasses/entire glass is just a personal choice. However, a dive mask glass should be heat-treated. This process strengthens the glasses. You can easily understand this by looking at the “Tempered” word on your mask glass(es).
- Frame should be made of a stainless metal or a hard plastic.
Best mask is the one that doesn’t leak water while you are diving (apply first advise) that you can you comfortably (other advises). If you take good care of your mask, you can use it more than 10 years (even as an instructor, I use mine for more than 5 years, I dive 100 times a year, at least). So, make your budget planning according to this information. A dive mask that you love underwater will show you great stuff. It is the most important equipment in terms of enjoyment, because we are diving actually to SEE what is underwater.
If you are a beginner, I advise you to start buying diving equipment with a dive mask.
Take a look at the dive masks from Amazon.com. Only the most quality and reviewed products added to the following link.
Amazon.com is a marketplace you can shop in a safe environment with proper SSL certifications. Thousands of people shop from Amazon.com every day for their needs.
You can also glance Dive With Seaman E-Store, you’ll be directed to Amazon.com when you want to cash out. Our e-store enables you to browse scuba diving equipment you want easily.
But because of number 1 advise, I suggest you to try the mask you like from a dive shop close to you first. If the price is lower in Amazon.com, you may then make you order. First try, then buy.