I am sure you have seen close up videos of snowboarders sliding on a platform, motorcyclists making a flip flop after they jump from a ramp and scuba divers (yesss) splitting the water, swimming towards colorful fish on a coral reef. You assume that this video should be taken with a giant, shining camera that costs tens of thousands of dollars. Then you stop looking at the screen on the outdoor center’s shop window and go on walking.
Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? I know the situation and your feelings because I have also been there.
Already know Go Pro Hero 3+ but got questions in mind? Take a look at these answered questions here.
Last year, I saw Go Pro in a dive center while looking for a dive mask. But it didn’t catch my interest because it was very small that could never ever be able to record as quality videos as I want to. I didn’t give it a chance and didn’t even search for the underwater footage samples of it.
Go Pro exploded! Majority of my friends and dive students started to buy it. I was damn surprised when I somehow saw the underwater video recorded by Go Pro after a nice dive.
Holy sh*t!! It was so sharp, contrasted and the camera even modified itself to use the light in the most efficient way. Then I learned that I can also use a red filter and different type of lens for underwater videos. It was a Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition. I bought it. Even wrote a review here in Dive With Seaman (read: Does GoPro Take High-Quality Photos Underwater?)
New Member: Go Pro Hero 3+
Nowadays, Go Pro its celebrating the youngest family member: Go Pro Hero 3+ ! Here are some features of this new little video giant:
- 20% smaller and lighter compared to previous models
- compatible with all previous mounts and accessories
- 1440p48, 1080p60, 960p100 and 720p120 video mode (which still makes me surprised compared to its size)
- 4Kp15 and 2.7Kp30 enable ultra high-resolution, cinema quality capture
- 12MP photo capture up to 30 frames per second (which makes it great for fast scenes)
- SuperView mode is on again! It gives you the chance for wide angle shots. A more chance to cover yourself in the frame, too
- New Auto Low Light mode enables the camera to change the frame rates based on lighting conditions
- reduced distortion will make you have clearer shots than ever
- 33% increase in sharpness
- with improved audio, wind-noise problem is reduced. By this way, you can have clearer noise record in fast activities
- 30% longer battery life (very assertive for such kind of improvements, I haven’t personally tried it yet)
- 4 times faster WiFi while sharing the photos/videos by using the Go Pro App
Don’t like to read? Watch the video below !
Of course this is a video taken and edited by professionals. Click here to see a Go Pro Hero 3+ amateur video shot and a review from an owner in Amazon.com. It is taken inside of an aquarium in low light so will give you an idea about the underwater shot of Go Pro Hero 3+.
I comment Go Pro’s move as a necessity this time. There is not a huge technological difference between Go Pro Hero 3 and Go Pro Hero 3+. But Go Pro is a company that would love to create new products each season. Go Pro Hero 3 was a great breakthrough compared to Go Pro 2. Here are my opinions about Go Pro Hero 3+ purchase, if you are considering to:
- If you own a Go Pro previous than Go Pro Hero 3, I advise you to purchase Go Pro Hero 3+
- If you own a Go Pro Hero 3 (especially the black edition), I don’t see the value in another purchase.
- If you don’t own any Go Pro products, it is now time to purchase one!
Black Edition or Silver Edition?
These two types of Go Pro Hero 3+ editions differ in its technical capacity. There is something like a 100$ of price difference. This is a common strategy used by majority of the companies to be able to address to different targets. I advise you to buy Go Pro Hero 3+ Black Edition, because the difference does worth 100$.
Cons of Go Pro Hero 3+
There are some issues that GO Pro Hero 3+ can be improved.
- still gets very warm after a certain period of time (isn’t a big deal underwater)
- image in the front (that you are trying to shoot) is sharp, but the background is blurry compared to Hero 3 Black Edition
- menu controls are going on being complex. It is hard for someone who is unfamiliar with GoPro
- battery life problem goes on. It MUST be longer; We use it in outdoor
- wi-fi signal gets frequently lost when an iPad is used
Thankfully, Go Pro Hero 3+ has 30 day money back guarantee in case you would like to send it back.
To be able to have a better understanding and for more details, you can download the user manual below.
You can right click on the links below and choose the option “Save link as…” to download the pdf files. If you don’t have the Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download it by clicking here.
Go Pro Hero 3+ Black Edition User Manual
Go Pro Hero 3+ Silver Edition User Manual
If you are not familiar with Go Pro cameras, I advise you to watch Hero 3 “getting started video.“
You can buy Go Pro Hero 3+ from Amazon.com with FREE SHIPPING !!
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.