A dive computer is the brain of our total diving system that allows us to make safe dives. It is very important for divers to know about the current depth, bottom time and no-decompression limits for safety.
I am sure you all know about Suunto. Suunto is a reliable and well-known dive computer brand. It was founded in 1936, which makes it “a know-how store” in dive computer field.
D serie of the Suunto is a dive guru.
As DiveWithSeaman.com, we wanted to use Suunto D4i Novo for a couple of dives before we write a review of it. I have bought the lime color version, for no complex reason, but simply because I like that color.
IMPORTANT FEATURES OF SUUNTO D4I NOVO
Let me start with some important features of Suunto D4i. Because Suunto D4i Novo has exactly the same features with Suunto D4i, only the colors and the buttons differ.
- Operating 4 Buttons
- Ascent Rate Alarm
- Maximum Depth Alarm
- Wireless Air Integration
- Dot Matrix Display
- Air, Nitrox (21% up to %50), Free-Dive (and Off Mode in Suunto D4i Novo)
- Deep Stop Options
- Dive Planner
- Depth Display up to 100 meters
- Adjustable Altitude
- 80 Hours of Memory Capacity
- Safety Stop Function
- Metric/Imperial Display Choice
- CR2450 Lithium Battery
- Reduced Gradient Bubble Model (RGBM)
- 1.97” (50 mm) in Diameter and 0.61” (16 mm) Thickness
You can download the user’s guide from here.
Don’t you like to read? Watch the video below (video credited to simplyscuba.com)
Now, I want to talk about the pros and cons of Suunto D4i Novo, so you can have a better idea about this dive computer.
As I always say in my product reviews, “there is no perfect product, but a product that is perfectly matched with your needs.”
Here are the pros and cons that might help you have a better shape of the product before you buy it.
Pros of Suunto D4I Novo
- Wireless Transmitter Option (you can see your tank pressure and remaining air time on your dive computer’s screen)
- Easy to use in daily life because it is light and not giant
- Included free dive and Nitrox modes
- USB cable comes with it
- Algorithm used is quite conservative (some say this is a con but if you are recreational, conservation equals to more safety)
- Very soft silicone strap but still durable
- My “old” Suunto D4I (not Novo) is still ‘alive’ with more than 500 dives with it. Remember that Suunto D4i Novo is almost the same.
Cons of Suunto D4I Novo
- Doesn’t have a navigation option (such as a digital compass)
- Display is a little bit of small
- Costs more than majority of the other dive computers in the same segment. That’s because you are also paying for extra features like the wireless transmitter. If you are not using a wireless transmitter/planning to use one, you are paying for a feature that you will not use. Don’t spend your money for features that require a producer great technology and results in extra cost.
Where To Buy Suunto D4I Novo
This colorful dive computer can be purchased from Amazon.com if you are planning to buy it on-line. As you know, Amazon.com is a reliable and old web-site that lets their customers to shop in a secure environment.
In Amazon.com, Lime, Blue and White choices are available.
A product video from BATISKAF
Suunto is one of the heavy balls in dive computer market. They owe this title due to their reliability and cool designs as well as their safety concerns.
Suunto D4i was a very helpful dive computer for divers. Now, with re-design, Suunto D4i Novo is also very cool and colorful.
They have colors like all the divers’ personalities have.
Comparison with Similar Models
By the help of this chart, you may clearly see the most important features comparison among these three reliable dive computers.
Actually, it is not that hard to comment on brands like Suunto. We all know what it is but if there are some Dive With Seaman readers who don’t know it yet, I can clearly say that Suunto has a very impressing position in scuba diving sector.
And about Suunto D4i Novo…
Well, sometimes companies like Suunto prefer to re-design their best-seller products because this way, they push the sales up. A little bit old product like Suunto D4i might have needed a simple push like that.
This is something definitely good for the company. For us?
It depends on our thoughts against re-designs.
If you like to have the newest products on you, it is okay.
If you are already a Suunto D4i user and know its reliability, but think that a change is needed, it is okay.
If your Suunto D4i became old and want to replace it with a colorful one this time, it is cool.
If you are a beginner or intermediate diver but unsure which dive computer to buy, hit that purchase button!
If you are a dive pro who wants to buy a new dive computer and has a little bit more money than you can spend on Suunto D4i Novo, I advise you to consider buying a D6i.
But beyond this rational review, Suunto D4i Novo is very colorful that seems to be very cool. Soft silicone strap is another good point for us to enjoy.
Decision is yours.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.