Each of us love holidays, right?
Staying out of crowded cities, stressful job, annoying co-workers and even from our neighbors next door.
Scuba diving? For sure for me and all the other scuba-lovers out there.
For others, at least swimming in a pool or in the ocean, maybe?
I guess you know which point I want to come.
I want to talk about Nikon Coolpix S33, not an action-cam like a GoPro or a fully-sealed camera like Nikon SeaLife Micro HD, but a really cool and handy “memory keeper“
I used to have a Nikon Coolpix S32 and I was using it in my dives as well as my GoPros.
Now, we have Nikon Coolpix S33.
I ordered mine from a local shop last month, used it both underwater and on land and wanted to share my experience with you guys by writing a Nikon Coolpix S33 review.
First, I want to talk about the differences/upgrades of the two models; Nikon Coolpix S32 and Nikon Coolpix S33.
Well, first of all, I loved idea of having different colors, not only white in Nikon Coolpix S33. Its father was only white.
Both models seem to be pretty much the same.
There are few differences among these two models.
- Nikon Coolpix S33 has Targeting AF system, which is an upgrade of focusing system.
- Other remarkable change is about the charging time. Nikon has upgraded the battery charger. In the previous model, camera was fully-charging in almost 2,5 hours. This time reduced to approx. 1,5 hours, so we have a 1-hour shortage, which can be counted as a pretty good upgrade.
- On the other hand, battery (700mAh Li-ion) life is still the same. You can take like 220-230 still images with a fully-charged battery.
- 1080p video HD video (1920×1080 – MOV format)
- 3x Optical Zoom
- Waterproof up to 33 feet /10 meters
- Shockproof up to 5 feet / 1.5 meters
- Glamour retouch (just like in Photoshop)
- Face-framing in underwater shots
- Micro-USB charger and data transfer
- NIKKOR lens
- 2.7-inch LCD screen
- 13.2-megapixel images – 4160 x 3120 (JPEG format)
- Almost 25 MB memory (SD cards can be used)
- ISO: 125-1600
- Dimension: 109.5 x 67.0 x 37.6 mm (4.4 x 2.7 x 1.5 in.)
Pros of Nikon Coolpix S33
Let’s take a look at the pros that might help you make your purchasing decision. Pros listed below are my personal thoughts as a result of my trials with this camera. It may change from user to user.
- It is compact, thus easy to use and carry
- Buttons are large
- Easy to navigate
- Loved the blue design
- User-friendly display, very suitable even for children
- It really IS waterproof
- It really IS shockproof (also tried)
e PHOTOzine published a good sample video taken with Nikon Coolpix 33 below.
Cons of Nikon Coolpix S33
For sure there are some cons of this camera just like every product have.
Now let’s look at the points you may want to check before you buy a Nikon Coolpix S33.
- Video quality is below the average
- Noises arise in still images
- Red-eye issue has been reduced but doesn’t work all the time
- There is no image-stabilization at all
- You cannot change the ISO settings manually
- LCD screen resolution is quite low.
What Does Seaman Say?
There is no perfect product for every one of us on the world.
If a product fulfills your need, then this is a perfect product for you.
I use them all, at least try them to be able to write an honest and objective review for you guys.
So, the question is, who should buy a Nikon Coolpix S33 and who shouldn’t.
Let me tell you my opinion, as an underwater photographer and camera enthusiast.
As far as I have used Nikon Coolpix S33, I have realized that this product is good for a family holiday.
This is an easy-to-use camera, even letting the toddlers to use it.
Shockproof even it fells from 1.5 meters (an 11-year-old-child).
Waterproof up to 10 meters/33 feet. So, you can really have fun underwater with your family!
Imagine you are sunbathing on a sunbed, drinking your cold juice in a very hot day and your kids are having fun in the swimming pool, taking photos, videos, selfies both on the surface and underwater.
A really good “memory-taker” for you and your lovely family.
Or, if you want to become an underwater photographer/videographer in the future, that’s a cool start.
But that’s it.
Don’t expect a performance from Nikon Coolpix S33 other than that.
So, the next question is, who shouldn’t buy a Nikon Coolpix S33?
If you are an intermediate-level underwater photographer/videographer, don’t waste your money and time with this camera.
You cannot improve yourself with Nikon Coolpix S33. Consider purchasing a better fully-sealed camera way better that this one, like SeaLife Micro HD (read: SeaLife Micro HD Review).
If you want to shoot a video of something unique, like a wreck dive, a jump from a high waterfall, want to use slow-motion-like features and have high quality, high resolution videos and photos, Nikon Coolpix S33 is not for you either. What you need is an action-cam like GoPro (click here to read reviews of all GoPros available).
I wanted to give you an idea about this camera by my Nikon Coolpix S33 review.
I hope you enjoyed it and I was able to help you in your decision-making process.
If you have any questions in mind or a comment about this product, please feel free to use the comment section below.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.